Thursday, March 26, 2009

make me an offer I can't refuse

I once read an interview with a man who lived through the depression in his early twenties with a young family. One of the things he talked about was that within his neighbourhood, they began to barter and trade. They would swap services, exchange household items, and help each other out whenever possible. Money didn't change hands because, simply, there was no money. His family and his neighbours' families came through the depression relatively unscathed, and he attributed this to the way they pulled together and shared their strengths with each other.

It makes sense.

So I'm officially open for offers of barter and trade. I don't even know what my services could be bartered for. I do want a treadmill... and I could use some plants for my flowerbeds... and my car needs some work... and I need to learn vectors...

I guess I'm open to hearing any offers really. Times are tough right now, but life is still beautiful and should still be captured. If you want custom photography and just can't afford to make it a priority given this uncertain economy, take stock of what you can offer that I can't afford, which is pretty much everything. Maybe we can start something here.

And that's my $0.02 for today.

EDIT: Okay, I got interested in bartering and went googling about it, and apparently everyone is talking about bartering right now, so I guess we won't start anything, but maybe we can extend to the media-free rock I live under.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the blogging... keep it up!! I think the bartering is a great idea... it's worked great for my Dad all his life (fixing people's cars for things he needs, especially while building his house).
Miss

Anonymous said...

Great idea!! Everyone's troubles seem smaller when we all pull together and just might make some new friends along the way!

Lisa B said...

I love to barter, and yes bartering is really making a comeback!